Conveyance of goods across the border by natural persons
All goods conveyed across the customs border of the Russian Federation are subject to customs clearance and customs control.
During customs clearance and customs control of goods conveyed by natural persons as per simplified favorable procedure, the customs, located at customs border gate, are using the organizational schemes of “red” and “green” corridors, “passages for written customs declaring” and “special passages”, marked with signs in the Russian and English languages: “Товаров, подлежащих обязательному письменному декларированию, нет” (“Nothing to declare”).
Non-declaring or unauthentic declaring of the goods conveyed across the customs border of the Russian Federation is the violation of customs regulations and the persons guilty of such violations are responsible in accordance with the legislation.
Non-declaring by a natural person of the goods subject to mandatory written declaring, shall be regarded as a declaration of this natural person of the fact that he/she has no such goods to declare. The persons conveying the goods across the border may also at their discretion and option declare in writing other goods they have.
A customs declaration is to be filled out by each person who is older than 16 years. The goods belonging to a person under 16 years are to be declared by one of the parents of such person, by an adoptive parent, a guardian or a tutor escorting such under age person and by the leader of group in case of an organized tour entry (exit), and return entry (exit) of a group of under age children without escort of parents, adoptive parents, guardians or tutors.
Quantitative (weight) and price limitations during conveyance of goods
Natural persons may import in their accompanied or unaccompanied luggage the goods (with the exception of transport means), with total price of not more than 65 thousand rubles and with total weight not more than 35 kg.
here will be applied a general rate of customs duties and taxes in the amount of 30% of the customs value of the above goods (but not less than 4 euro per 1 kg) if the norms specified above are exceeded; when total price of goods is not more than 200 hundred thousand rubles and total weight of goods is not more than 200 kg. Should total price of the goods imported exceed 650 thousand rubles and/or their total weight exceed 200 kg, then there will be applied the rates of customs duties and taxes as established by the general procedure and the conditions of tariff regulation and taxation, envisaged for the participants of foreign trade.
These measures shall be applied also in case when alcohol drinks are imported with 5 times excess of the existing limitations (to the goods in excess), or when a natural person is crossing the customs border of the Russian Federation oftener than once a month.
Natural persons, acknowledged officially as refugees or forced migrants and also those coming to Russia for permanent residence, may bring in without payment of customs duties and taxes the goods (except for transport means), which have been used or have been bought prior to their entry into the territory of the Russian Federation.
A natural person who has reached 17 years old, may bring in/bring out at one time without paying customs duties and taxes only two liters of alcohol beverages (from 21 years), not more than 250 g of sturgeon roe in factory cans and tobacco items (cigars– up to 50 pieces, cigarillos – up to 100 pieces, cigarettes – up to 200 pieces, tobacco – 0.25 kg. In case of importation of tobacco items of one type only it is allowed to bring in 100 cigars, 200 cigarillos, 400 cigarettes and 0.5 kg of tobacco. Importation/exportation of these goods is limited by the legislation of the Russian Federation.
The goods subject to mandatory declaring
The goods subject to mandatory declaring are as follows:
- precious metals in any form and condition except for those which are conveyed across the border with the purpose of temporary exportation/importation of private jewelry or other household items;
- precious stones (diamonds, true rubies, emeralds, sapphires, alexandrites, natural pearls) with the exception of those which are conveyed across the border with the purpose of temporary exportation/importation of private jewelry or other household items;
- weapons, ammunition, explosives;
- narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances, as well as their analogues;
- valuables of art and cultural valuables (pictures, sculptures, icons, old coins, military decorations and medals, stamps and etc.);
- poisonous and intoxicant substances, and also potent drugs (soporific and anesthetic substances and etc.);
- radioactive substances;
- flora and fauna objects, under the threat of extinction, their parts and parts made of them;
- technical means, made up of one or several radio transmitting/receiving apparatus and their combinations and auxiliary equipment (radio navigation and radio determination system stations, cable TV systems and other equipment, operated with frequencies higher than 9 kHz);
- printed matter, cinematographic, photo and video materials, comprising confidential and/or state secrets, intended for propaganda of fascism, excitation of race, national and religious animosity, and the publications of pornographic character;
- the goods, which in accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation are subject to quantitative (weight) or price limitations when conveyed across the customs border without payment of customs duties and taxes as per simplified, favorable procedure not designated for production or other commercial activities; in case when such limitations are exceeded;
- the goods, intended for production or commercial activity. Non submission by a passenger of a customs declaration in relation to such goods shall be regarded by a customs officer as a declaration of the fact that this passenger has no such goods to declare.
Conveyance by natural persons of the goods subject to control of other state authorities (Ministry of Internal Affairs, Ministry of Culture, Ministry of Agriculture and etc) is allowed if relevant licenses, certificates issued by the above authorities are presented.
The short list of the goods to be imported into the Russian Federation only with the permission of relevant state authorities
Type of goods
Type of license and issuing state authority of Russia
1.Weapons and ammunition to such weapons
Permit, Ministry of Internal Affaires
2. Radio electronic means (radio telephones, radio stations, satellite communication systems and etc.). Except for portable radio stations (radio telephones) and Federal and regional cellular circuits imported into the territory of the Russian Federation temporarily
Permit, State Communications Supervision Authority under the auspices of the Ministry of Communications of Russia
3. Sturgeon roe in the amount exceeding 250 g (in factory packaging)
License, Ministry of Economical Development of Russia
4. All types of sturgeon fish and products made of sturgeon fish
License, Ministry of Economical Development of Russia
Foreign natural persons may bring in temporarily, without paying customs duties and taxes, the goods (except for transport means) they require for their personal use in the territory of the Russian Federation during the period of their temporary stay. If these goods are not brought out from the territory after the established period, then these goods shall be charged with customs duties and taxes in accordance with the Regulation № 718 of the Government of the Russian Federation dated 29.11.03.
If the amount of the imported goods exceeds the existing limits, then the goods in excess shall be liable to the general procedure and conditions of tariff and non tariff regulation, envisaged for the participants of the foreign trade. Should customs authorities establish that the goods imported are intended for production or other commercial activity, then a Cargo Customs Declaration is to be filled out or the goods are to be detained until their exportation from the territory of the Russian Federation on the way back.
Natural persons are held responsible in accordance with the Code on Administrative Offences of the Russian Federation and the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation for violation of customs regulations. In case a natural person disagrees with a decision of a customs officer, the decision may be appealed against in accordance with the procedure specified in Chapter 4 of the Customs Code of the Russian Federation. The superior officer or superior customs authority are entitled to appoint an expert investigation, which is to be conducted at the expense of the person conveying the goods across the border.